Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday Video: Debutantes of 1939

Friday, July 13, 2012
Holland House
Loretta reports:

I found this while looking for interviews with the Duchess of Devonshire.  Her memoirs, Wait for Me, which I read not long ago, offered quite a bit of insight into the world of the English upper classes.  The video piece is long—more than 45 minutes—but if you can set aside some time to watch it, I think you'll be as fascinated as I was.  It's a funny, provoking, and poignant glimpse of a world long gone.  As well as some beautiful women, there are some gorgeous men.

The program contains as well, some views of Holland House before its destruction in the Blitz.  My new short story, in the e-anthology Royal Bridesmaids (available 17 July), is partly set in my fictionalized version of this remarkable house.




Illustration:  John Buckler, Holland House, 1812, courtesy Wikipedia.

11 comments:

Kismet said...

What a delightful video. It certainly brought to life another era. Thnak you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that couple talking about charisma around the 25 minute mark are great! And I love the music, as well as the old footage.

Dot S.(ladeetdareads.wordpress.com) said...

Thank you! The women were gorgeous and gave a persepctive on another era. They did seem a bit apologetic for their wealth at that time. This was truly a window into the past.

Susan Elliott said...

Loved it! I'm an hour behind on my work but it was a marvelous diversion...Thank you.

Lake Nokomis said...

Thank you for sharing the video!

Laura Hile said...

Thank you for sharing this! Well worth my time, yes. A look into a lost world.

Sandra Brake said...

Thanks Loretta for posting this link. What a delightful video. What darlings they all are and I wish I could sit and talk to them all. I loved Sir Martyn Beckett talking about his girlfriend Mab Fox Strangeways - it reminded me of the links these families have that go back and back. Wasn't one of the Fox Strangeways in Aristocrats - Susan who married an actor and had to be hustled off to the US? And that amazing shot of the young man standing in the ruins of the library during the blitz.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this video. The couples and widows and widowers reminiscing on their love were lovely!

Lynn said...

This was absolutely fascinating. Such fun, and such an absorbing peek into what their lives were like. The Duke and Duchess of Devonshire were my favorites, just the way they played off each other, from their many years together. "Don't you think?" Just fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Priscilla said...

Lovely film. Thank you.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket