Friday, January 18, 2013

Casual Friday: Love Me, Love My Cat, c. 1756

Friday, January 18, 2013

Isabella reporting:

I've already posted this print on our Pinterest boards, but it's just too amusing not to share here, too. Cat-obsession is nothing new. This 18th c. print of a young woman with her favorite feline bears the title "Love Me, Love My Cat" – which sounds oh-so-twenty-first-century, but there it is, in elegantly engraved letters. Meow!

Love Me, Love My Cat, print made by James McArdell, after Philippe Mercier, c. 1756. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund. 

4 comments:

Merlina said...

The kitty looks just like my cat! Now I want to do a photo shoot with my cat and my new colonial gown!

Anonymous said...

I believe the cat in the picture is a Chartreux. An old breed of French cat.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I love the black cat! (I have two) and I love that the spelling is correct on the caption.

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that not all felines were associating with witches back in the 18h century........ (I say that as a person with two cats, one black. :-)

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket