Sunday, February 12, 2017

We're Back - and New Books Are Coming

Sunday, February 12, 2017
Susan reporting,

Finally, Loretta and I are back! After furious writing, holidays, groundhogs, and a couple of snowstorms, we can now report there WILL be new books from both of us this fall (as well as new blog posts in the meantime.)

First off: I've returned to writing historical fiction. I've also returned to being Susan Holloway Scott, while Isabella Bradford, my historical romance name, has gone on hiatus; it's all part of having multiple pseudonyms, and being a Gemini, too.

Secondly: My new novel is I, ELIZA HAMILTON, coming in September from Kensington Books. (It's available for pre-order now in both paperback and ebook, through those links over to the right.)

Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton (1757-1854) was the wife of Alexander Hamilton (c1755-1804), a Revolutionary War hero, statesman, politician, and abolitionist, the first Secretary of the Treasury, a signer and promoter of the Constitution, the founder of the American financial system, and, perhaps most famously for posterity, the only Founding Father killed in a duel.

You might also have heard that he inspired a certain Broadway musical that carries his name.

Like so many women of the past, Eliza's story has been overshadowed by her brilliant husband. She didn't help her place in posterity by destroying most of her own letters and virtually eliminating her voice. As a result, she's too often been dismissed by (male) historians, who variously describe her as shy and reclusive, a homebody, a saint.

But the real Eliza's still there: in the letters of others who knew her, in diaries, in portraits, in memoirs, and most of all, in the achingly beautiful love letters her husband wrote to her over the years of their courtship and marriage. She was a mother, daughter, sister, and wife. She was intelligent and resourceful and strong, a woman who lived in the thick of some of the most turbulent and exciting times in American history. Her marriage was filled with love, passion, regard, and devotion, but also marred by public scandal and unimaginable tragedies that broke her heart, but not her spirit. I'm honored to tell her story.

Over the next months, I'll be sharing more here on the blog about Eliza and her life and times, as well as discoveries from my research junkets. You can also read a bit more about the book here in a recent post on Bustle.com.

7 comments:

Lucinda Brant said...

Congratulations, Susan! Wonderful to see you're back with a new book. :)
Eliza sounds fascinating and deserving of her own story.
Looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

So happy that you two are back! I missed my morning blog posts with my coffee, but new books are worth it. Can't wait for this one, Susan. Hope to hear about yours next, Loretta!

Susan Cuss said...

Yay!

Ginny Watkins said...

Welcome back! As a major Hamli-fan, I can't WAIT for this book!

Annette Naish said...

I am so glad to see you both and both of you look lovely.

I look forward to the book on Mrs Hamilton. It is amazing to me that people do not seem to understand "history is people". They were not saints, but human beings who led amazing lives.

I know I am going to love this book.

Kelly said...

This looks great, and what a gorgeous cover!

Unknown said...

What a great read this will be. Congratulations. Exciting.

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket